Koji feature proposals

Bryce bryce at zeniv.linux.org.uk
Thu Jan 8 12:13:40 UTC 2009

Oliver Falk wrote:
> Jesse Keating wrote:
>> On Wed, 2009-01-07 at 17:23 +0100, Oliver Falk wrote:
>>> OKOK. I thought rpmbuild will automagically produce arch-specific
>>> and noarch packages in 'one step'...
>>
>> It will, for one arch.  You do a rpmbuild --rebuild foo (on x86_64) and
>> it'll spit out x86_64 binary packages and potentially a noarch package.
>> What we care about is doing the same command on i386 and generating i386
>> packages and a noarch package, having the i386 produced noarch package
>> match the x86_64 produced noarch package.  To the best of my knowledge
>> there is no way to convince rpmbuild to produce both i386 /and/ x86_64
>> packages in the same run.
>
> Alright. I got it now - I think :-)
>
> So a build in koji will produce a noarch package for every arch. And
> then you need to decide which noarch package to take and how to find
> out if there are (arch specific) differences in those "noarch's", right?
>
> -of

huh? the entire reason a package is noarch is that it doesn't have any
difference on what  architecture it was built or installed. Usually
shell scripts or data sets make up the bulk of noarch rpms. If a noarch
package differs when built on different architectures then you can't
call it a noarch rpm!

Now that said, I have generated noarch packages that are actually x86_64
binaries so that they will install in an x86 environment without a need
to pass --ignorearch to rpm, but, they forced me do it *sob* I didn't
want to do it that way *cry* it was awful, my soul is  dead *breakdown bawl*

Phil
=--=