Makefile.common problem

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Thu May 28 23:47:33 UTC 2009

This ticket was filed in infrastructure's trac.  I've been told this is
actually where it should go::

Makefile.common currently causes build failures when doing "make local"
with a package containing a noarch subpackage.

The problem is on line 38: LOCALARCH := $(if $(shell grep -i
'^BuildArch:.*noarch' $(SPECFILE)), noarch, $(shell uname -m))

First, it cannot grep noarch in this way now, second, there should be
$(shell rpm --eval %{_arch}) instead of $(shell uname -m).

As discussed on #fedora-devel with Toshio and Adam Jackson, this should
be now probably changed to plain: LOCALARCH := $(shell rpm --eval %{_arch})

For noarch only packages this means they'll be built in a $arch
directory, but that's not an issue IMHO.

...it would be nice to fix this soon, I indeed spent some time looking
around what happens to find out why my noarch subpackages fail locally
and build fine in Koji -- would like to spare this time for others;)