mock rpmdb version issue with epel-5-i386 target

Alan Franzoni (mailing) mailing at franzoni.eu
Mon Sep 14 15:50:14 UTC 2009

Hello,
I'm trying to setup a mock chroot for usage with the epel-5-i386
target. I had considered mach, which I have already used in the past,
but since mock seems newer, better mantained an more integrated with
fedora and some other tools which look to me very useful and promising
( Cobbler, Koan, Koji ), I wanted to give it a shot.

But  I seem to have an issue with it. I started with a fresh FC11
install, with the updates repo enabled, and installed mock from the
repos;
version 0.9.17 installed cleanly, and seems to be the latest version.

My issue seems related to different rpmdb versions inside and outside
the chroot which gets created. Take the following output:

It seems the rpmdb of the chroot has been created with an rpm
employing a different format ( I can assume it's the 'host' system rpm
), hence leading to a format mismatch which prevents from using rpmdb
from inside the chroot.

I have tinkered around for a little, but I couldn't find an easy
solution (beyond installing everything from outside using mock
--install, of course). Hence I've got some questions:

Is that an intended behaviour? Is the rpmdb supposed to be converted
back to the proper format later on in the deployment process, if using
mock for building packages which be used later on in a possibly
pre-build system?

Alan Franzoni