Adding another desktop (ice)

Troy Dawson dawson at fnal.gov
Tue Dec 9 17:12:18 UTC 2003

Christoph Wickert wrote:

>Am Di, den 09.12.2003 schrieb Troy Dawson um 15:44:
>

>>Hello,
>>What would be involved in trying to get another desktop officially into
>>Fedora?
>>
>>I am thinking of ice, for those people with machines without much
>>memory, or who just wish a lightweight window manager.  But I am meaning
>>this question to be more general.
>>

>IMO a very good idea. I have icewm incl truecurve patch, Gnome2 and KDE
>menus and truecurve theme on an P1 233. Really sweat!

I wouldn't mind the menu files, though maybe if you sent them to me
offline so we don't spam the list.
I hadn't looked at the truecurve theme until right now, that looks
pretty good.

>>So far I have come up with the following list.
>>
>>Well maintained rpm.
>>

>Do you have one right now? I lost mine somewhere...

Well, I just took the one from IceWM http://www.icewm.org/ and took out
all of the gnome menu sections.  I don't know if it's still the case,
but their 1.2.7 version I had to do that or else when I built the rpm's
they had a nasty gnome dependancy.  Oh, and I also sucked in the themes
into the main rpm instead of having it split out.  Mine is at
ftp://linux.fnal.gov/linux/lts30rolling/SRPMS/icewm-1.2.13-2.LTS30x.src.rpm
This was compiled on a recompiled enterpise release, but I believe it
should install on fedora without any problem.  (I'm having problems with
my fedora machine or I'd know)

For the most part, their spec file looks quite stable, but as I said, it
at least used to build a strange dependancy.

Are these the best spec file's (either mine or IceWM's) I don't know.
They work, and they don't need much changes going from release to
release, but I'd had to read the Fedora documentation better to know if
they were good enough.

>>Bluecurve theme (on by default)
>>Menu structure consistent with other desktops
>>Integration into gdm and/or desktop switcher
>>

>I think switchdesk will be harder than gdm. I've managed to intergrate
>it into the command line version, but not info switchdesk-gnome od -kde.

I haven't looked at the switchdesk code to see how hard it would be.  So you are definatly ahead of me on that.

Troy Dawson  dawson at fnal.gov  (630)840-6468