default gnome panel buttons (answer)

Troy Dawson dawson at fnal.gov
Mon Dec 15 20:10:40 UTC 2003

Howdy,
My thanks to all who gave me leads and such on this jolly trek I've been on.
May asked me to post the answer when I got it, so here it is.

For these examples I removed the OpenOffice Spreadsheet, and put the terminal
button first (before the web browser)

RedHat 9 and Enterprise 3 (Gnome 2.2)
-------------------------
Edit the files
/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults/schemas/apps/panel/default_profiles/medium/general/%gconf.xml
/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults/schemas/apps/panel/default_profiles/medium/objects/terminal_launcher/%gconf.xml

In general/%gconf.xml I replaced the word spreadsheet_launcher with
terminal_launcher

In terminal_launcher/%gconf.xml I changed the 'position' value from 300 to 25

Fedora Core 1 (Gnome 2.4)
-------------
Edit the file
/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults/apps/panel/default_setup/general/%gconf.xml
and add the file/directory
/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults/apps/panel/default_setup/objects/terminal_launcher/%gconf.xml

in general/%gconf.xml I replaced the word spreadsheet_launcher with
terminal_launcher

For the file terminal_launcher/%gconf.xml well ... I haven't gotten that right
yet.  I just know that when I have it wrong I get a nice error when I startup
gnome.  Since at the moment, my main users are RedHat 9 and Enterprise 3
users, I'm going to say that it's good enough because I found the file :)

EXTRA
-----
Good documentation
http://www.gnome.org/learn/
http://www.gnome.org/learn/admin-guide/2.2/gconf-8.html#gconf-14
http://www.gnome.org/learn/admin-guide/latest/gconf-8.html#gconf-14

Just note that at least for the Gnome 2.2, the examples they use are not what
you find in RedHat 9.  This led me on a wild goose chase (but at least I had a
goose to chase)
Also note that you can do all that I did using gconf, but after working with
the syntax of it, I finolly gave up and did things by hand.

Hope this helps people
Troy Dawson
Troy Dawson  dawson at fnal.gov  (630)840-6468