3D screensavers - separate package

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Tue Dec 16 01:38:06 UTC 2003

> /As for this seperate package business-- While I recognize the need for
> some hardware setups to avoid the 3D frills, it really seems irrelevant
> to be able to avoid all 3D and leave the low-cpu ones.
> Leave it as blankscreen for default- maybe to avoid woo-ing Fedora
> newcomers, and keeping them a little more focused on the task of
> learning a new operating system rather than getting their background and
> color scheme correct immediately after an install.

I disagree. I manage a network of over 100 desktop linux machines. I'd
like for my users to not decide they want one of the cool screensavers
and suck the life out of a machine. Fine I can make policy, but it'd be
even nicer to just NOT have those screensavers in the base package and
just remove the package forever.

Remember, this isn't just about single user machines. If rhel is going
to work in networks then Fedora Core needs to work there too.

-sv