3D screensavers - separate package

Colin Charles linux at bytebot.net
Wed Dec 17 10:57:22 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-12-15 at 22:05, Bill Nottingham wrote:

> > Can Fedora pull out it's screensavers that need/want 3D hardware
> > acceleration, and bundle them into a separate 3d-screensavers rpm?
>
> No, for various reasons, including:
>
> - there's no good way to key packages as 'install this if you
>   have hardware 3d support'

During the installation, kudzu detects what sort of video card a PC has.
Wouldn't this be enough to see if you have hardware 3d support?

Otherwise, just default to installing 2d screensavers, and make the 3d
an option.

> - the 2d screensavers can (and do) chew just as much CPU as the 3d
>   ones

Yes, but the 3d one's look *very* ugly on a 2d video card. Having a
laptop sitting around and displaying some random 3d screensaver and not
having it support it, makes it horrible. I can attest to this...

> Patches that allow switching automatically to the blank screensaver
> in the case of running on battery, etc. would certainly be considered;
> you'd probably want to hook into the dbus event framework for getting
> power events from the kernel in the future.

Good idea.
Colin Charles, byte at aeon.com.my
http://www.bytebot.net/