3D screensavers - separate package

Colin Charles linux at bytebot.net
Wed Dec 17 10:57:26 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-12-16 at 03:57, Jens Knutson wrote:
> under GNOME control.  This is not to knock Jamie or his project, they
> just have different goals; it's quite unlikely that Jamie will want to
> make the necessary changes to xscreensaver (like trimming the fat of
> some of the "lame" or problematic screensavers, changing the
> configuration GUI, etc) to make it the really great, user-oriented (as
> opposed to geek-oriented) screensaver that GNOME needs.

Has anyone asked Jamie[1] about it? He is (was) a GNOME user the last
time I checked.

That said, the GNOME desktop-devel-list discussion was in relation to
gdmflexiserver and fast user switching. I forsee GNOME just writing some
form of "wrapper" rather than removing xscreensaver altogether.

It will impact GNOME negatively if they replace xscreensaver, imho.
Historical reasons among others...

[1] - Jamie Zawinski, author of xscreensaver
Colin Charles, byte at aeon.com.my
http://www.bytebot.net/