[Fedora-desktop-list] Illustrator artwork files

Garrett LeSage garrett at redhat.com
Fri Nov 14 13:08:41 UTC 2003

Jonathan C. Sitte wrote:

> Garrett LeSage wrote:
> | I have posted the Illustrator artwork for Fedora:
> | http://people.redhat.com/glesage/artwork/Fedora/
>
> One thing. Is there an application in Linux that can edit this file
> type? Unfortunantly I am unable to afford Illustrator. I will see what I
> can come up with. I tried opening the file in Gimp but got one layer.
> Also the fact that the text looked funny. Example below. I wonder if
> there is either a work around or another vector based format that we can
> all use. :/

There _is_ ill2svg...
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/sodipodi/sodipodi-web/home/files/ill2svg.tgz

However, to effectively edit the graphics, you need Illustrator.  There
isn't anything on Linux which allows you to edit vector art even close
to Illustrator (or Freehand).

Once you do convert it to SVG from AI, then you should be able to play
around with it in Sodipodi or Inkscape (the Sodipodi fork).  Sketch may
also work.  Still, these tools don't really compare to Illustrator,
unfortunately.

Aside from the icons and splash screens and what-not, one can still help
out with the artwork.  There are other things which need to be done.
Feedback, mockups, ideas, etc. -- I'll provide more info about these
things as the time arises.  (Feel free to bring up things on this list too.)

Garrett