Gnome and Kde problem

jpgrdnr at softhome.net jpgrdnr at softhome.net
Fri Apr 2 17:48:16 UTC 2004

Unable to start gnome or kde(as of Fedora Core Test 2). I get the startup
"Fedora Core" without the icons and then a freeze (I am still able to Ctrl
Alt Bkspace to the prompt). I've looked at the logs and have problems with
the Alsa driver and the esound. I had gnome problems since RH 9.
With Fedora Core 1 I could start kde by using gdm in root and then logging
into root with the session being kde. Kde no longer works with this method.

Would a reinstall be a good recommend as opposed to an update?
I'm running a Athlon XP1600+ /w 512 mgs ram, FX5600 (an Abit Siluro 256mb
version)
although I have gotten x to work (I dont see it being the video card)

Any troubleshooting suggestions would be great because I have an IBM R40
and FC T2 rocks on it!

Jon