replacing XMMS

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Wed Apr 21 19:10:21 UTC 2004

Razvan Corneliu C.R. d3vi1 VILT (razvan.vilt at linux360.ro) said:
> Also, totem is missing. This is a huge down-side. It should be in
> fedora, some gstreamer-plugins or xine back-end can be in livna provided
> that some message-box advises the user of what they should do to get
> them.

No, sorry, can't legally do that.

> If you want to drop xmms, IMHO, you should put Beep-Media-Player in it's
> place.

Beep's sole feature point is a hack port to GTK2, afaik. It wasn't
a particularly clean or stable port when I looked at it.

As for why I use xmms:

1) force of habit
2) smaller (both visually and memory wise)
3) doesn't skip (and this is on a 1.6Ghz box)
4) loads playlists MUCH faster

Bill