replacing XMMS

Michael Schwendt fedora at wir-sind-cool.org
Fri Apr 23 12:35:58 UTC 2004

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 08:53:09 +0100, Julien Olivier wrote:

> > Only that this AFAIK is no longer necessary with rhythmbox >= 0.8.0 as
> > it doesn't do things directly, but only via gstreamer. So in theory,
> > dropping an MP3 gstreamer plugin into (as of now) /usr/lib/gstreamer-0.8
> > and all gstreamer apps should magically be able to play MP3.

Correct.

> I'd just like to add that, maybe, in the future, Fedora could provide a
> CD burner and a video player (totem) based on gstreamer. So you would
> have to get the right gstreamer-plugin once, and you would have MP3
> support in Rhythmbox, Totem and a (therotitcal) CD burner. It's much
> better than having to download a plugin for each app using illegal
> codecs.
>
> Am I wrong here ?

No. The gstreamer-plugins-mp3 package is just a temporary work-around.
One could make a site like rpm.livna.org provide a "gstreamer-plugins"
upgrade package instead, which contains other missing plugins, too
(e.g. mpeg). There are plans on doing that. I'm not up-to-date about
them, though.

--
Fedora Core release 1 (Yarrow) - Linux 2.4.22-1.2188.nptl