Desktop issues discussion proposal

Brent Fox bfox at redhat.com
Fri Apr 23 15:51:51 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-04-22 at 19:24, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-04-22 at 16:50, jludwig wrote:
> > This would also be what I would like to see. For example, every time I
> > upgrade or load a system I get the "out of the box" firewall rules
> > without any other option. This is fine for average desktops and newbees,
> > but causes my extra configuration work.
>
> I don't think more installer options will happen - everyone is very in
> favor of kicking that stuff to firstboot or to config tools post-boot.

I'd like to see the firewall screen removed from anaconda.  The
installer would then disallow all incoming traffic by default with the
possible exception of ssh.  Then move the firewall screen to firstboot
so that if the system is ever compromised, it's because the user
specifically chose to open something up.  We should try to be secure by
default.

Having said that, I think we could improve the firewall screen a bit.
Users moving over from Windows have no idea what "SSH" or "SMTP"
connections are or why they would want to enable them.  Other services
in the list like "Telnet" should probably be removed since no one in
their right mind should use telnet anymore.

Of course, kickstart will still be there for people who have highly
customized configurations and need to roll them out to multiple
machines.

Cheers,
   Brent