Desktop issues discussion proposal

Brent Fox bfox at redhat.com
Fri Apr 23 16:09:04 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-04-23 at 00:47, Matt Hansen wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-04-23 at 09:24, Havoc Pennington wrote:
>
> > But of course leave the config file, so if you really want some other
> > firewall config, or are setting up a machine whose purpose is to be a
> > firewall, rather than to be firewalled, you can create that config.
> > And there might be a GUI for creating a custom firewall, covering common
> > use-cases for that.
>
> Havoc,
>
> Are you talking generically with that last sentence or is this in the
> works? i.e. http://fedora.redhat.com/projects/config-tools/ states a
> number of tools "that would be useful but do not exist yet". For example
> it lists:
> "Firewall - configuration tool for IP Tables (something more finegrained
> than redhat-config-securitylevel)"

The kind of firewall tool that item is talking about is something
targeted at a system-administrator who wants to do more complicated
things to the system than s-c-securitylevel allows.  In other words, a
firewall tool for someone who knows something about firewalls.
s-c-securitylevel is designed to give non-techie users a decent measure
of security without needing much knowledge.

> What's the status on this tool and other tools listed there? One tool
> that isn't listed that would be useful is a Mail server tool - could
> take some of the complexity out of setting up Sendmail/Postfix (esp.
> Sendmail). I suppose it's lack of RH developer interest/time?

More a lack of time than anything.  Ideally, non-RH developers could
help move these forward - there are way more of you than there are of
us.  :)  It would help if RH would get the public CVS server up and
running with external commit access.

Cheers,
   Brent