replacing XMMS

duncan brown duncanbrown at linuxadvocate.net
Sun Apr 25 15:38:53 UTC 2004

average joe doesn't want to use yum, he wants to be able to double click
an icon on his desktop and have things taken care of.  no command line, no
searching through a gui.

now, say he wants to install the cd2ogg rpm from
http://www.linuxadvocate.net/yum/fedora/1/linuxadvocate/cd2ogg-2.1-fc1.i386.rpm

now, he doesn't have cdparanoia installed (which is one of the
requirements) but doesn't want to add my yum repository since this is
basically a one off install... so, all he really should do (ideally in his
mind) is click on the rpm link which should bring up the option in
mozilla/firefox to use a helper application.  it downloads, the helper
application loads the rpm, says you need cdparanoia and installs that
along with the rpm.  no command line required, IT'S TAKEN CARE OF FOR HIM.

now, i've been compiling my own apps since 1993 so yum is really a life
saver for me, but that's also considering i'm a sysadmin professionally,
99.9999999999999999% of the population isn't.  don't think like a sysadmin
when it comes to package management, think like someone who doesn't want
to deal with details and command line flags.  KISS.

does someone have to deal with command line flags to install winamp or
yahoo messenger?

all this can be solved with letting synaptic take command line options
(transparent to the desktop user) to install a package and resolve the
dependencies for the person.  i mean, what's with this stigma that
apt/synaptic seems to have with the fedora hardcore core?  it's a great
tool (if somewhat resource thirsty) which needs one option added and this
is taken care of.  no more worries.

-d