replacing XMMS

Colin Walters walters at redhat.com
Wed Apr 21 18:31:20 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-04-21 at 14:27, Nathan Fredrickson wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-04-21 at 13:48, Colin Walters wrote:
> > What I'm curious of is comments by people who still use XMMS, and why.
> > What are the most important things to you that need to be fixed in
> > Rhythmbox?
>
> I just took my first look at Rhythmbox to see if it could stream an MP3
> over HTTP and most importantly seek within the stream.  Unfortunately I
> just get an error I don't understand: "Failed to create mad element;
> check your installation".

Getting MP3 support in the FC1 Rhythmbox is not trivial, it involves
both recompiling Rhythmbox and installing a GStreamer plugin. In FC2
it's a bit better - you just need the GStreamer plugin.

> My usage pattern is probably non-standard, however my ideal player
> would:
> - stream audio files (such as MP3) over HTTP
> - seek within the stream using the HTTP Range header

Hmmm.  So this isn't internet radio, you're just playing a static file?
I think the gnome-vfs HTTP plugin doesn't support seeking.  Once we fix
that this should Just Work to add files over http to your library.

> - support HTTP Authentication

That should already be fixed in Rhythmbox 0.8.0, due to it being fixed
in gnome-vfs.