desktop discussion

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Wed Apr 21 19:47:29 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-04-21 at 15:31, seth vidal wrote:
> What is it that fam is supposed to achieve? I know it does file change
> notification but I've never noticed a change in system behavior from
> when it is off or on. Is Daniel's work on line somewhere?

I think it may be in GNOME CVS. FAM is used by various parts of the
desktop, e.g. you need it for nautilus to notice if you move files
around, and for the theme control panel to notice when you install a
theme, and so forth.

> >  7. The gconf multiple login question, which everyone is already
> >     familiar with sadly... Mark was having a look.
>
> What's been mark's take on this? Last thing I heard some discussion of
> application configuration storage daemon - possibly not gconfd based -
> but that sounded like deep in the future.

Our idea was to merge all of /apps/metacity into one file, all of
/apps/panel into one file, etc. That makes gconf equivalent to plain
text files in terms of semantics. Mark already implemented it mostly.

But we were getting stuck on the fact that then you can't share homedirs
with old installations. Also, some apps have pretty deep trees under the
level 1 directory, so the single file would be kinda huge.

We could make it configurable, that's probably the right answer.

Note that you can do this today using the gconf-merge-tree command to
merge an existing ~/.gconf and then it will stay merged.

Havoc