Desktop issues discussion proposal

Mariano Draghi mdraghi at prosud.com
Wed Apr 21 20:23:40 UTC 2004

> This are related. The answer is generally to just move stuff out of
> Core, and into Extras. Eventually, if the user explicitly decides
> to install 20 mail clients, that's their own problem, but the default
> OS install shouldn't do this to them, yes.

This is easy with some applications, and _very_ difficult with others.
Take the (recent) example of Rythmbox vs XMMS f.i.
And the same goes with Evolution vs KMail vs Mozilla Mail/Thunderbird.
Right now, each of them has is strenghts, and there would be plenty of
users that even for historical reasons will hate Fedora if we take out
"their" e-mail client.
Which one is the good default? Why?

I think that for some kind of applications, we should provide in
Anaconda a list of choices, clearly specifying a recommended default:
Which e-mail client would you like to install?
[x] <b>Evolution (recommended)</b>
[ ] Mozilla Mail
[ ] KMail
So the newbie can press [Next] and go on with the default, and the more
advanced user (or just somebody a little more used to Linux) can clearly
identify the default and change it for his own choice, or even choose
(and install) all of them.

Besides, it would be nice to have some config tool to setup/change the
default _after_ the installation, and this tool could take care of the
MIME types, and menu auto-reconfiguration (i.e. move the new default
e-mail client to the main menu, and the others (if any) to the extras).

--
Mariano