desktop discussion

Matt Hansen helios82 at optushome.com.au
Thu Apr 22 01:11:18 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-04-22 at 05:47, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-04-21 at 15:31, seth vidal wrote:
> > What is it that fam is supposed to achieve? I know it does file change
> > notification but I've never noticed a change in system behavior from
> > when it is off or on. Is Daniel's work on line somewhere?
> >

> I think it may be in GNOME CVS. FAM is used by various parts of the
> desktop, e.g. you need it for nautilus to notice if you move files
> around, and for the theme control panel to notice when you install a
> theme, and so forth.

Well, is it supposed to notice new files downloaded to a directory? For
example, if I d/l files to a directory, and have an open nautilus window
in that dir, I have to manually "reload" the window before the new file
shows, no matter if sgi_fam is on or not.

Ok, I have to ask, what's the status for GNOME menu editing? What state
will it be in for FC2 and which release do you foresee full
functionality for this?

Regards,
-Matt
--
"Would you buy a car with the hood welded shut?"
 - Bob Young on the benefits of the open source development model.