Desktop issues discussion proposal

jludwig wralphie at comcast.net
Thu Apr 22 20:50:03 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-04-21 at 16:23, Mariano Draghi wrote:

> > This are related. The answer is generally to just move stuff out of
> > Core, and into Extras. Eventually, if the user explicitly decides
> > to install 20 mail clients, that's their own problem, but the default
> > OS install shouldn't do this to them, yes.
> >

> This is easy with some applications, and _very_ difficult with others.
> Take the (recent) example of Rythmbox vs XMMS f.i.
> And the same goes with Evolution vs KMail vs Mozilla Mail/Thunderbird.
> Right now, each of them has is strenghts, and there would be plenty of
> users that even for historical reasons will hate Fedora if we take out
> "their" e-mail client.
> Which one is the good default? Why?
>
> I think that for some kind of applications, we should provide in
> Anaconda a list of choices, clearly specifying a recommended default:
> Which e-mail client would you like to install?
> [x] <b>Evolution (recommended)</b>
> [ ] Mozilla Mail
> [ ] KMail
> So the newbie can press [Next] and go on with the default, and the more
> advanced user (or just somebody a little more used to Linux) can clearly
> identify the default and change it for his own choice, or even choose
> (and install) all of them.
>
> Besides, it would be nice to have some config tool to setup/change the
> default _after_ the installation, and this tool could take care of the
> MIME types, and menu auto-reconfiguration (i.e. move the new default
> e-mail client to the main menu, and the others (if any) to the extras).
>
> --
> Mariano
This would also be what I would like to see. For example, every time I
upgrade or load a system I get the "out of the box" firewall rules
without any other option. This is fine for average desktops and newbees,
but causes my extra configuration work.

I would actually like more choices that can be selected as desired, in
fact there was an issue with pine being removed.
--
jludwig <wralphie at comcast.net>