Desktop issues discussion proposal

Mariano Draghi mdraghi at prosud.com
Fri Apr 23 15:16:05 UTC 2004

Havoc Pennington escribió:

> One suggestion from Seth is to have a "UNIX" comps group, containing all
> the GUI stuff that traditional UNIX users expect that would not be
> interesting to our desktop users.

That would be PERFECT!
I'm starting to get uncomfortable with the idea of losing choice,
really. I mean, GNU/Linux has always been about choice. We shouldn't
lose that. We shouldn't forget that Fedora is GNU/Linux. We shouldn't
forget the contributors, the developers, the skilled people who like
their old-not-so-friendly-apps, and doesn't care about the eye-candy and
are BIG friends of the CLI.
I know that we should bring Linux to a bigger audience, one which is not
accustomed to that, but in doing so we CAN'T and SHOULDN'T forget the
old *NIX friends!!!
So we have to come up with clever ideas to hide the complexity to the
desktop users, keeping a not-so-difficult path for the others.
If I ended up downloading 4 CD ISOs to find that the (popular GNU/Linux)
tools I need aren't included, and I had to go to a thousand of extras
and unofficial repositories to download my RPMs, or even started to
download tar balls... then we are taking wrong decisions.

--
Mariano