Desktop issues discussion proposal

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Fri Apr 23 19:18:32 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-04-23 at 15:04, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-04-23 at 13:01, seth vidal wrote:
> > 1. prof in the dept with a laptop
>
> We should be able to get laptops managed. That other thread on
> fedora-devel mentioned this a bit maybe? Anyway, basically replicate the
> OS image to them whenever they are connected.

do you have any idea how intrusive that is? Especially on laptops where
hardware gets ODD from release to release.

I disagree - there need to be ways for a user to setup and modify config
files w/o having to understand each one. If I can't tell the chair how
to reconfigure his network adapter for a static ip when he's in some
remote location then there is going to be problems.

> If we can't figure out how to manage laptops (require manual
> config/admin of them) then it's a big problem, since half of corporate
> desktops are laptops.

show me any other operating system that doesn't have manual
administration of configuration settings (system-wide) be able to be
done from a gui console?

Can you think of ANY?

I can think of lots that can't do mass-system-maintenance. But NONE that
can't do a single-system maintenance.

you're going too far in the opposite direction and it just isn't
realistic at all.

-sv