replacing XMMS

Julien Olivier julo at altern.org
Sat Apr 24 07:40:40 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-04-21 at 18:48, Colin Walters wrote:
> So our situation with music players is a little bad.  Right now in the
> menu we have "Music Player" and "Audio Player".  The first is Rhythmbox,
> the second is XMMS.  A user new to Fedora is going to be baffled by this
> - it's like having two clocks.
>
> Ideally we would only have one music player.  I'm hoping to get
> Rhythmbox in good enough shape for FC3 that it can replace XMMS for most
> use cases.
>
> What I'm curious of is comments by people who still use XMMS, and why.
> What are the most important things to you that need to be fixed in
> Rhythmbox?

Hi

I've got a simple suggestion that could make rhythmbox better for XMMS
users:

When you open a file or a selection of files from command line or from
Nautilus, they should be added automatically to the main library (this
is already the case), and a new playlist should be created, containing
only those files. Rhythmbox should then start playing all the files in
this newly created playlist, and only them.
Then, maybe, it should remove this playlist when you shut it down ?

The advantage of this method is that you could easily play all the files
in a given folder, or play individual files, without having them lost in
your large library.

What do you think of that ?

--
Julien Olivier <julo at altern.org>