RFE: User-Understandable Default folders in Home Directory

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Wed Aug 11 17:38:17 UTC 2004

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 12:50:09 -0400, David Malcolm <dmalcolm at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-08-11 at 00:57 +1000, Stewart Smith wrote:
> > a bit like what OSX has, i've been thinking that a set of default
> > folders (with some cool icons) could help users a bit.
>
> I do something like this on my own folders at home, using emblems.

I personally would like to see the emblems concept expanded to fill the 'funky'
icon role for default speciality folders. So create special default
folders like photos and movies and documents... and attach the
associated emblem by default. The current set of emblems would have to
be expanded a little or perhaps rethought a bit more.

But I would also find it interesting to expand the concept of emblem
so that users can tag other folders as 'document' or 'movie' folders
or whatever in such a way that you can easily search for documents and
movies in all the folders tagged with the associated emblem, in a
pre-Storage enabled world. Expand that even further so you can have
systemwide tagged 'music' folders so users can query their userspace
Music emblem tagged folders as well as systemwide folders tagged as
Music.

-jef