RFE: User-Understandable Default folders in Home

Kyrre Ness Sjobak kyrre at solution-forge.net
Sun Aug 15 17:43:17 UTC 2004

> Message: 1
> Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 09:00:30 -0700
> From: Michael Knepher <mknepher at bluethingy.com>
> Subject: Re: Fedora-desktop-list Digest, Vol 6, Issue 11
Ops, sorry about that one...

> To: Discussions about development for the Fedora desktop
> 	<fedora-desktop-list at redhat.com>
>
> On Fri, 2004-08-13 at 12:05 +0200, Kyrre Ness Sjobak wrote:
> > > Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 12:50:09 -0400
> > > From: David Malcolm <dmalcolm at redhat.com>
> > >
> > > Currently Evolution 1.5.* stores its data (contacts, calendar, email
> > > etc) below the ~/.evolution directory and in GConf, and makes various
> > > assumptions about the layout of the ~/.evolution directory.  Evolution
> > > could be changed to follow this proposal for "local contacts" (as
> > > opposed to contacts found on e.g. a shared corporate LDAP database), but
> > > it'd be non-trivial.
> > >

> > What? How do i transfer my mail that is currently in my evo folder? I
> > dont want to loose it!
> >
> > Only thing kept in .evolution before was passwords and mailservers
>
> The new Evolution will import all your old mail, contacts, calendar
> items, etc., on first startup.

How? Just copy the evo folder into my ~? What will then happen to my
evolution-folder? Just imported and then never touched again?

> > Another point: Webbrowsing. Today FC uses moz - which has a nice engine
> > etc. But Epiphany is still better integrated with Gnome (and no
> > difference when talking HTML engine): Why not use this as the standard
> > web-browser instead?
>
> Check out some of the newer builds of mozilla - there's a lot of gtk2
> integration going in that makes it fit in the desktop better appearance-
> wise. Here's a screenshot showing mozilla using the gtk+2.4 file
> chooser:
> http://sayamindu.randomink.org/ramblings/images/mozilla_pango.png

That is good. Even if i can't se the big diff. Cant read that language
anyway :)

> > Only prob. as far as i can see, is that neither moz or epiphany has a
> > user-friendly way to select which printer you want to use. Whic is...
> > BAD!
> >

> For epiphany, it should be a fairly simple matter. I'm not sure what's
> involved with getting mozilla/firefox to use the new print system.

What new print system? CUPS? It is really un-user-friendly the way it is
now. Even KDE does better than that! (joke, not flamebait). But i still
cant see why we are using moz not epiphany (apart from being completely
unpronounceable, and the word also un-understandable...)?
Decision-makers: please answer (or somebody else who knows the truth)