print-dialog + the guy who wantet GDM autologin as root

Kyrre Ness Sjobak kyrre at solution-forge.net
Sat Aug 21 22:51:17 UTC 2004

But gedit has a "select printer" iface, rigth? Anyway, is there ANY
chance at all for this to make it into FC2? I really can wait to
reinstall the machines at school...

> Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 09:25:09 -0700
> From: Michael Knepher <mknepher at bluethingy.com>
> Subject: Re: print-dialog
> To: Discussions about development for the Fedora desktop
> 	<fedora-desktop-list at redhat.com>
>
> On Wed, 2004-08-18 at 12:48 -0700, Ken Crandall wrote:
> > Actually, what would be really nice would be a command-line interface
> > to this similar to what QTCups used to be.  It would then allow for
> > *any* non-gnome app to utilize the printing infrastructure in a sane
> > way.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Ken
> >
> Is XPrint supposed to be a solution for this? I've only skimmed briefly
> over the info about the new xorg release at freedesktop.org, so I'm not
> sure if it would allow similar functionality.

To the guy who asked about autologin as root:
1. DO NOT SEND HTML MAIL to a mailing-list - doing so will:
	- get your (HTML-part-of-the) message scrubbed - which means 		deleted
- for all users using digest mode. I (and 		probably many others didn't
bother to read your mail at 		all - only the title...)
	- Generally get people anoyed at you
=> not a good way to get help
2. This should probably be asked at fedora-list, not here
3. GDM autologin of root is not possible for security reasons. Go
hack'ing (no, not crack. hack the code if you want it badly)
4. You should not use the root-account on a daily basis (not even i
winblows - it makes you more volunerable to viruses etc). Go make
yourself a real USER account - and then use "su -" to get root when
needed.
5. You probably knew this - but rh9 is old and not as "gut geignet" for
newbies (why do i think you are a newbie? Hmm...)
6. Welcome to the world of Linux. Enjoy your stay. And you probably made
all the worst mailing-list mistakes (exept using "HEEELP!!!!" as
subject), so your will probably have very few problems from now on.

Kyrre Ness Sjøbæk