Is it possible to start only one app in GUI GNOME or KDE or other?

Bill (William) Triest wtriest at chemistry.ohio-state.edu
Wed Dec 1 22:07:04 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-12-01 at 16:54, Edilmar Alves - Lista wrote:
> I have a Fedora Core 2 Linux + VNC Server (running into xinetd).
> Then, the users may connect remotely to this server and run an app
> that I put into desktop (shortcut). But the users have access to other
> apps like OpenOffice and Mozilla, and I want:
>
> 1) the user may logon and the app starts automatically. Where do I do this?
> 2) none taskbar, console, etc, the app must start using full-screen,
> with no way to change to other apps like Alt+Tab shortcut. Is it possible?
> 3) the GUI must be light, I'd like to use some GUI with lower resources
> than GNOME and KDE. What's the better for this case?
> 4) the users may be in slow links, I think to use in the future
> softwares like FreeNX, and the GUI must be really with low graphical
> complexities...
>
> Thanks for any suggestions...

Have you looked into running just the app, with no Desktop Environment.
(To test locally, try  editing ~.xinitrc and then commenting out what's
there and just putting something like emacs).  They could still start
other application from a command line and have them display, but it
would make it more difficult and non-obvious.

If this is what you want I can help you figure out how to do this for
vnc (I've done something simular, but I would have to play to get
everything correct in my message).

Thanks,
Bill