desktop printing

tony tony at tgds.net
Wed Dec 1 19:31:17 UTC 2004

Le mercredi 01 décembre 2004 à 12:24 -0500, Colin Walters a écrit :

> > In FC1 I had a printer Icon in the panel. I dragged a document to it and
> > it printed.

> It was discussed with the interaction design team here and not
> considered to be very valuable.  The implementation was really ugly too.
> You should be able to print from the application launched by double-
> clicking on a file.

When I get a file from a client or I need a hardcopy of a PDF file I am
very sorry it is very convenient to say to the application (which opens
any way) "please print this file". The application opens the file, sends
it to the printer then quits.

Mac OS X does this. That other OS does it.

It is a convenience issue. Convenience has value for me.

Seeing how FC3 treats DVB and lirc as well as desktop printing it looks
like I'll be doing an upgrade to FC1 with a hand rolled kernel and xorg
built from source.

Cheers

Tony Grant