desktop printing

tony tony at tgds.net
Wed Dec 1 21:23:32 UTC 2004

Le mercredi 01 décembre 2004 à 14:42 -0500, Colin Walters a écrit :

> > When I get a file from a client or I need a hardcopy of a PDF file I am
> > very sorry it is very convenient to say to the application (which opens
> > any way) "please print this file". The application opens the file, sends
> > it to the printer then quits.
> >
> > Mac OS X does this. That other OS does it.
>
> Can you be more precise?  What do you mean "say to the application"?

By dragging the file to the desktop printer icon the application
associated with the file type knows I want to print it. Your way is open
application with double click on file, open print option in menu... I
used Mac OS for many years, drag and drop desktop printing was
considered progress when we got it. It is. I confirm.

> Right-click on the file?

Right click was my first guess but no, no print option in Gnome.

> Drag and drop the panel?

In FC1 there was a printer icon in the panel. Choose PDF file, drag to
Icon and it printed. Not in FC3...

> Double-click and
> open the application for it?

Sucks.

>  Something else?

Right click in Evolution would be really nice. But that is not FC3.

> > Seeing how FC3 treats DVB and lirc as well as desktop printing it looks
> > like I'll be doing an upgrade to FC1 with a hand rolled kernel and xorg
> > built from source.
>
> Um, that seems like a bit of an overreaction.

No, I watch satellite TV (the BBC) using VDR and the VDR-xine plugin.

FC1 = no problems. Install VDR, get xine source and patch with VDR-xine,
make xine, make vdr. Install lirc, configure remote. Start VDR and xine,
teach xine remote commands, watch TV. From day one after buying the DVB-
S card to first evening of TV = 1 week.

FC3, third week? forgotten... No remote yet.

No udev script found so far works with DVB. I have to manually create
devices. It took me one week to be able to watch TV again.

lirc is not working. At all. A PVR without remote is about as good as
a... (almost got carried away...). I can't record shows to disk.

Dear Colin, tell me more about progress!

We are all working together towards a better desktop OS n'est pas? By
going back to FC1 with a better X server and hardware support that works
I can get on with what is most important: my life.

Shame, because what actually does still work in FC3 is faster, smoother,
better looking.

Cheers

Tony Grant