desktop printing

Nils Philippsen nphilipp at redhat.com
Thu Dec 2 13:23:47 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-12-01 at 22:23 +0100, tony wrote:
> Le mercredi 01 décembre 2004 à 14:42 -0500, Colin Walters a écrit :
>
> > > When I get a file from a client or I need a hardcopy of a PDF file I am
> > > very sorry it is very convenient to say to the application (which opens
> > > any way) "please print this file". The application opens the file, sends
> > > it to the printer then quits.
> > >
> > > Mac OS X does this. That other OS does it.
> >
> > Can you be more precise?  What do you mean "say to the application"?
>
> By dragging the file to the desktop printer icon the application
> associated with the file type knows I want to print it. Your way is open
> application with double click on file, open print option in menu... I
> used Mac OS for many years, drag and drop desktop printing was
> considered progress when we got it. It is. I confirm.
>
> > Right-click on the file?
>
> Right click was my first guess but no, no print option in Gnome.
>
> > Drag and drop the panel?
>
> In FC1 there was a printer icon in the panel. Choose PDF file, drag to
> Icon and it printed. Not in FC3...
>
> > Double-click and
> > open the application for it?
>
> Sucks.
>
> >  Something else?
>
> Right click in Evolution would be really nice. But that is not FC3.
>
> > > Seeing how FC3 treats DVB and lirc as well as desktop printing it looks
> > > like I'll be doing an upgrade to FC1 with a hand rolled kernel and xorg
> > > built from source.
> >
> > Um, that seems like a bit of an overreaction.
>
> No, I watch satellite TV (the BBC) using VDR and the VDR-xine plugin.

It's a bit inconvenient that VDR stuff isn't quite on the agenda of
Fedora Core... This means it worked better on FC1 probably because the
2.4 kernel wasn't as new as 2.6 is now. Quite a number of drivers still
have to be ported over to 2.6 and I think this may be the case with you.

> FC1 = no problems. Install VDR, get xine source and patch with VDR-xine,
> make xine, make vdr. Install lirc, configure remote. Start VDR and xine,
> teach xine remote commands, watch TV. From day one after buying the DVB-
> S card to first evening of TV = 1 week.
>
> FC3, third week? forgotten... No remote yet.

Hmm, I haven't tried my self-made serial LIRC receiver yet on FC3, but
I'll give it a try.

> No udev script found so far works with DVB. I have to manually create
> devices. It took me one week to be able to watch TV again.

That's what I meant with "have to be ported over to 2.6" -- these
drivers at least need to implement sysfs support in order to be
conforming to "how things are done on 2.6". When they announce
their properties through /sys it should be half the rent needed for
proper integration with hal and udev. David, Harald, smack me if I talk
rubbish here ;-).

> lirc is not working. At all. A PVR without remote is about as good as
> a... (almost got carried away...). I can't record shows to disk.

What LIRC device do you have? I think it should be possible to use the
programs without a remote control, with keyboard and/or mouse, otherwise
it's a bug in the respective application IMO ;-). I couldn't test DVB
yet (no digital LNC until after we have moved), but this will affect me
in the future so I'm interested in the whole topic.

Nils
     Nils Philippsen    /    Red Hat    /    nphilipp at redhat.com