[mail] Re: Kernel issues

Steve Thacker w5set at alltel.net
Sun Dec 26 20:55:19 UTC 2004

then again you could, if I remember rightly that you use a dual
processor, just use this link inside a rpm command (terminal, command
line stuff)  like
#rpm -install -v
http://mirror.linux.duke.edu/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/3/i386/kernel-smp-2.6.9-1.681_FC3.i686.rpm

if you use the 686 smp kernels (above)

if you use the 586 smp kernels use
#rpm -install -v
http://mirror.linux.duke.edu/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/3/i386/kernel-smp-2.6.9-1.681_FC3.i586.rpm

all above are ONE line commands.
or just strip off every thing after the  /i386/ and look at the
remaining link of
http://mirror.linux.duke.edu/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/3/i386/
before you leap.
Also you can do a     # man rpm   command line to get lots of info on
using the "rpm" command.
If my memory is like I think it could be, please investigate above links
before using them--I just might have gotten your smp kernel needs WRONG.
the # thingie is the root "prompt" and doesn't need to be typed in, and
of course you need to have root priveleges to do this.
enough stating of the probably totally obvious stuff to you, let me know
if any of this helps....................(in the world of command line
usage, I think it's better to overstate then leave some stuff out that I
assume everyone knows --especially for me!!--hi-hi)
..................steve (if you get the "already installed" message  try
the -update command with rpm---see     #man rpm   )