Paring Down the Screensavers - RFC

Steven Garrity stevelist at silverorange.com
Thu Feb 19 19:01:17 UTC 2004

There was some talk a while back on this list about trimming down the
list of screensavers included in Fedora Core. By my count, there are 177
screensavers included (let me know if I've got some installed from
somewhere else or something, but I don't think so).

I've gone through the list and tried take a shot at identifying which
screensavers should stay in Core and which should go.

I tagged each screensaver as wither Ok (it should stay), Drop (let's
lose it), and Kill (once that should really go).

First, the "Ok" list - these screensavers all seemed pretty professional
and I think would be an ok default set.

glmatrix
goop
Ripples desktop
xmatrix
flurry
distort
pipes
gltext
coral
bubble3d
ifs
euler2d
spotlight
fontglide

Next, the "Kill" list - these ones seemed unprofessional or just plain
wacky enough to drop alltogether:

bsod
braid
pedal
bouncingcow
juggle
apple2
barcode
noseguy

Finally, the rest of then, my "drop" list, I didn't think were worthy of
being included by default, but could live in an Extras package:

anemone
polyominoes
piecewise
penetrate