Whats up with up2date?

Charles McColm charm at porchlight.ca
Wed Jan 21 01:39:12 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-01-19 at 21:02, scott wrote:
> When I try to use  up2date it freezes up when trying to download
> updates? Sometimes it says that the gnu license is bad and asks to
> continue anyway. Anyone else have this problem? Is there a link where I
> could find an updated/fixed up2date rpm?

Scott are you using dialup by chance? I too have had problems with
up2date. My problem is a little different and only seems to happen with
larger downloads. (i.e. a kernel update)

My solution is to use the RHN-applet to discover what packages need to
be updated, then to use gftp to go to one of the Fedora Core mirror
sites and manually download the updates, then rpm -Uvh the updates. I
find it a whole lot faster!

Cheers,

Charles