Lock Screen in menu only works when screensaver is configured.

Mike A. Harris mharris at www.linux.org.uk
Wed Jul 14 04:23:45 UTC 2004

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004, psychoelmo wrote:

>Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 21:17:23 -0600
>From: psychoelmo <psychoelmo at gmail.com>
>To: Discussions about development for the Fedora desktop
>    <fedora-desktop-list at redhat.com>
>Subject: Re: Lock Screen in menu only works when screensaver is configured.
>
>i can understand you not wanting a screen saver to kick in.. but
>afaik, that's what locks the screen.. can you set the screensaver
>timeout really high and just use blank-screen for the saver?  at least
>then the screen wont blank unless it sits, say, overnight or
>something, a cpu hog screensaver wont run, and you still have the
>ability to lock the screen at the touch of a button.. that's what i do
>here. might work for you until something else comes along.

One problem with making a blank screen the default screensaver,
is that there are many users out there who for whatever reason,
just wont realize this is happening, and might think their
machine has locked up or crashed or something and hit reset or
poweroff, thus trashing their session.  If only they had moved
the mouse or hit a key they'd know it was just a blank screen.
I've even done this myself absent mindedly a few times at the
console on a rarely used machine.

The default screensaver definitely should not be "random" IMHO,
but it also shouldn't just be "blank".  I believe the default
Microsoft Windows screensaver is a Windows logo that randomly
moves around the screen every n seconds.  It's pretty basic and
boring, but it does the job, and also lets the user know it is a
screensaver and not a locked up machine.  ;o)

We should create a "Fedora Logo" screensaver and make that the
default.  One of the xscreensaver savers is probably close enough
to use as a basis for derivative work.  If not, it would probably
be only a few hours to hack up a basic screensaver of this nature
with minimal effort.

Sound sensible?