Locking down Fedora Core 2 desktop

Mike Hearn mike at navi.cx
Tue Jul 6 12:45:19 UTC 2004

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 13:45:00 +0100, Damir Dezeljin wrote:
> 1. Is it possible to remotely (from SSH session) lock the desktop
>    (screen saver lock ?) of the local loged user? How can I achieve this?

xscreensaver-command -lock

> 2. Is it possible to remotely (from SSH session) log out a local loged in
>    user without restarting the X server (init 3 && init 5)? How can I
>    achieve this?

gnome-session-save --kill, I think might work

> 4. Is it posible to prevent a user from running not allowed applications?
>    I want to avoid changing 'x' bit of N binaries. I would like to costumize
>    a file browser to allow only browsing memory cards and copy the content
>    to CDs ... I also want to disallow creating shortcuts on the desktop (so
>    that the user will not be able to run e.g. xterm). How can I do this?

I don't think there's an easy way to do this. You're better off assuming
that the user can access a terminal and just ensure that root vs user
stops them doing any damage.

> 5. Which 'easy to use' program should I use for burning CDs?

Putting a blank CD in should pop up nautilus cd burner. In spatial mode it
might not be obvious how to trigger the burn process ... you might want a
"Burn CD" link on the desktop which triggers nautilus in non-spatial mode
for burn:///

thanks -mike