Screensavers in FC3

Steven Garrity stevelist at silverorange.com
Tue Jul 13 14:52:57 UTC 2004

Ed Mack wrote:

> That's a nice way to handle it, but it's only really aimed at the geek
> population. 'Bootstrapping GCC' isn't something many normal users do.
>
> I like the idea of including a few 'pretty' screensavers the user can
> choose to run from the control panel if they feel the urge to customise
> - otherwise people can become disalusioned, and people will happily
> judge their first Linux experience by the quality of given screensavers.
> A lot of the Xscreensavers need to be taken to the pasture and shot,
> they are /so/ 1983

I agree that a few simple/quality screensavers would be fine to include
by default, but if the debate over which should stay will at all delay
the removal of all the cruft, I'd say we go to blank-only.

I think blank-only is a better default for now, and we can work on
getting a couple (probably just one good simple Fedora logo screensaver)
back in later on.

Steven Garrity