Screensavers in FC3

Will Cohen wcohen at redhat.com
Tue Jul 13 15:17:50 UTC 2004

Ed Mack wrote:

> That's a nice way to handle it, but it's only really aimed at the geek
> population. 'Bootstrapping GCC' isn't something many normal users do.
>
> I like the idea of including a few 'pretty' screensavers the user can
> choose to run from the control panel if they feel the urge to customise
> - otherwise people can become disalusioned, and people will happily
> judge their first Linux experience by the quality of given screensavers.
> A lot of the Xscreensavers need to be taken to the pasture and shot,
> they are /so/ 1983
>
> Ed

True, bootstrapping GCC is not a typical user activity. However, paying
electricity bills is pretty common. Given that many people now have a
couple computers at home, the money saved by not driving the monitors
24/7 would be attractive.

Most of the preinstalled version of Windows I have seen now put the
screen in power saving mode as the default.

Keeping some attractive screen savers in there is fine. I just like the
default preferences to be something that is more useful. I would imagine
a large portion of the users don't care about the screen savers, and
setting to default to something that would save them money would be a
good thing.

-Will

-Will