Screensavers in FC3

Nils Philippsen nphilipp at redhat.com
Tue Jul 13 15:56:34 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-07-13 at 14:20, Steven Garrity wrote:
> There was some talk a few months back about trimming down the
> screensavers in Fedora Core to a more sane number.
>
> First, there was the issue of 3D screensavers bogging down machines that
> couldn't handle them:
> https://listman.redhat.com/archives/fedora-desktop-list/2003-December/msg00088.html
>
> Then, I floated a proposal to pare down the included screensavers:
> https://listman.redhat.com/archives/fedora-desktop-list/2004-February/msg00002.html
>
> Then, Bill Nottingham had my favourite proposal yet for the
> screensavers:
> https://listman.redhat.com/archives/fedora-desktop-list/2004-February/msg00006.html
>
> Bill Nottingham <notting redhat com> wrote:
>  >
>  > xscreensaver - blank only, core
>  > xscreensaver-extras - everything else
>  >
>  > Simple, clean, avoids flamewars.
>  >

> Has there been any progress on this? Is it too late to do something for FC3?

From my POV this whole issue is 80% rather trivial (packaging) with 20%
coding that needs to be done before that can be the case:

- xscreensaver needs to revert to "blank screen" if the user has chosen
anything other than {disable screen saver, blank screen}, likewise
xscreensaver-demo (which should rather be xscreensaver-config,
...-prefs, ...) should only let you enable or disable blanking in that
case
- xscreensaver needs another means than X11 resources to let the
preferences tool know about the installed hacks, messing around with
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults/XScreenSaver is very cumbersome and
bug-prone. Something like a directory /etc/xscreensaver/hacks.d where
packages could just drop in small files describing their hacks would be
best IMO

Both of these are not that trivial and would need to be accepted
upstream down the road -- we don't want to maintain such patches forever

Nils
     Nils Philippsen    /    Red Hat    /    nphilipp at redhat.com