proposal to remove the "Start Here" icon

Brent Fox bfox at redhat.com
Tue Jul 13 19:32:02 UTC 2004

I propose that we remove the "Start Here" icon from the default desktop
for the following reasons:

- It presents the same choices that the Main Menu does, just in a
different way.  This is potentially confusing and inconsistent.  The
Menu is a much faster way to launch apps anyway.

- The name "Start Here" implies that there it will take you to a set of
steps to set up your desktop, but it doesn't do that.

- It's basically useless.  :)

I think a case could be made for a first-run desktop tutorial kind of
thing, but "Start Here" as it currently exists is not it.  I propose
that we remove this icon for FC3test2 and see if anybody complains.

Thoughts,
   Brent