proposal to remove the "Start Here" icon

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 19:45:18 UTC 2004

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 15:32:02 -0400, Brent Fox <bfox at redhat.com> wrote:
> I propose that we remove the "Start Here" icon from the default desktop
> for the following reasons:
> - It's basically useless.  :)
>
> I think a case could be made for a first-run desktop tutorial kind of
> thing, but "Start Here" as it currently exists is not it.  I propose
> that we remove this icon for FC3test2 and see if anybody complains.

If its removed, are there any plans to actually create anything akin
to the first-run
tutorial kind of thing you mention?  Perhaps instead of thinking a
'first run' tutorial thing, perhaps i can infect you with the idea of
something useful beyond first run, a sort of task based guided tour
that can be referenced when people want to learn how to do a new task
but don't really know what applications to use.  And if I want to get
all starry-eyed, it could be updated over the lifetime of its release
to encompass more task based help beyond what was available at install
time.

-jef"theora videos of applications in use will be a must for any such
task based tutorial guide"spaleta