proposal to remove the "Start Here" icon

Colin Walters walters at redhat.com
Sat Jul 17 17:33:42 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-07-17 at 10:37 -0400, Owen Taylor wrote:

> Just to give some historical background, when we introduced Start Here
> in Red Hat 8 or so, our goal, or at least, my goal, was to deemphasize
> and hopefully eventually get rid of the big panel menu.

Ok, that's a pretty good goal I think.  But the reason I never used
"Start Here" is simply because I could never see it - I always run
nearly every application maximized.  The panel menu is always accessible
and in the same place.

I do think "Start Here" has a major advantage over the panel menu in
that it's meaningful to someone new to our desktop - when I first
switched to Fedora it took me a minute to realize that the Red Hat icon
was actually a menu.  Before I'd been used nearly stock upstream GNOME
on Debian for years, with the "Applications" menu.