proposal to remove the "Start Here" icon

Beartooth beartooth at adelphia.net
Sun Jul 18 19:36:29 UTC 2004

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 19:52:03 -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:

>>  Shouldn't the desktop be easily configurable as the
>> ultimate "Favorites Menu"?
>
> It is, btw - try dragging any applications menu item or panel launcher
> icon to the desktop.

Very good to know -- when it works. I didn't. Many thanks! But ...

I tried it with Pan (0.14.2 under FC1); it three-quarter-worked: put a
launcher on the desktop, and also let me put the launcher where I wanted
it. But now it's there on all six workspaces, of which exactly one is
reserved for Pan and only Pan. I'll take it away again, most likely.

So I tried again, with Opera (7.52) -- and it under-half-worked: put a
launcher in the worst place for me (way in the upper left corner, which I
*always* have covered up, on all six workspaces), and wouldn't let me move
it at all. It also put a great big new one on the panel, in addition to
the one in the drawer where it belongs. (It didn't do that with Pan.) So I
removed it from desktop and panel without ever even invoking it.

I'm sure linux would let me put a launcher on one and only one particular
workspace, if I knew how; but I don't. Maybe making a GUI to do that, or
an option added into the present one, would help any others who work the
way I do.

The beauty of this would be its simplicity: when I click my usenet
workspace, either the reader window would already fill it (if already
open), or the launcher would be handy (but out of sight when the app is
already open).

Marginalium: I'd like to be able to make a given workspace launch other
apps into a pre-designated other workspace. So, for instance, if I click
on a URL in a usenet message, my chosen browser would open, not out over
the top of my reader, but in the workspace adjacent to the reader. Dunno
if that's related here ...

--
Beartooth Autodidact, curmudgeonly codger learning linux
Keep in mind that I know precious little of what I'm asking about!