Screensavers in FC3

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Mon Jul 19 17:31:03 UTC 2004

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 17:38:11 +0100, Mike Hearn <mike at navi.cx> wrote:
> However, a screensaver that gave random tips, fortune cookies, helpful
> advice, alerted you if there were pending security updates etc *would* be
> very cool :)

Not as a default. I cringe at the thought of computers that by default broadcast
a message like "Hey moron! You need to totally update me with security updates"
while sitting.. idling...with the operator away from the display..just
waiting for someone to walk by and to note that the computer the
display is attached to is in a vulnerable state.  Information leakage
isn't really a good idea. I don't even want to see the Operating
system version being display if at all possible, certainly not uptime
or kernel version or whether the machine is security patched in a
screensaver.

-jef