gcc-3.4.1 on amd64

Muhammad Soofi asifsoofi at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 31 01:16:04 UTC 2004

Dear Fedora users,

I am trying to install gcc-3.4.1 on my desktop which
has an amd64 processor, running Fedora Core 2.  The
system has gcc-3.3.3 and attempts to upgrade it to
gcc-3.4.1 has been unsuccessful.

In the first attempt everything was kept as default.
The process failed in the "make bootstrap" stage
with the error:

 fatal error, run-time library not installed
 correctly cannot locate file system.ads

Learning that this error is related to Ada part of
gcc, decided to exclude Ada from the gcc
implementation with the option:

 */configure --languages=c,c++,objc,f77,java

This also failed with the error,

 /usr/bin/ld: crti.o: No such file or directory

actual location of the file is,

 /usr/lib64/crti.o

The procedure I am following is as follow:

               gcc341 (directory)
     _____________|__________
    |                        |
 srcdir                   objdir
    |             In the directory ran
 gcc-3.4.1        following commands:
                  -> .../srcdir/gcc-3.4.1/configure
                  -> make bootstrap
                  -> make install

The above procedure worked for installation of
gcc-3.4.1 on a PII machine running Fedora Core 2
but cannot pass "make bootstrap" for amd64 machine.

Any suggestion towards the solution of the problem
would be highly appreciated. Thank you.

Muhammad Soofi