memory profiling

Will Cohen wcohen at redhat.com
Tue Jun 1 16:13:09 UTC 2004

Havoc Pennington wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How hard would it be to assign sub-application-granularity "blame" for
> all the memory used by a full desktop (GNOME+Evolution+Mozilla+OO.org)?
>
> Something like:
>
>    5M   sum of per-app icon theme caching
>    5M   sum of per-app base gtk_init() overhead
>    10M  sum of per-email data in Evolution
>    7M   base evo overhead with no mail loaded
>    30M  sum of all executable pages (libraries and binaries)
>
> i.e. try to get an idea of where focused optimization could have the
> most impact on the desktop overall - what percentage of TOTAL memory
> usage for the whole desktop can be blamed on each optimizable item, with
> sufficient granularity to be useful.
>
> Havoc

You could use "pmap pid" to get a coarse view of memory used by
libraries and per process basis, but this doesn't handle which functions
allocated the space. You could combine the data from pmap of different
applications to get an overall view of space usage.

I have noticed that the "-x" option doe not seem to be working on
version of pmap that FC2 uses, so it doesn't provide RSS, Anon, or
Locked information.

-Will