Locking down Fedora Core 2 desktop

Pavels Nikolajevs pavels at capital.lv
Sat Jun 19 12:51:40 UTC 2004

Greetings

>1. User friendly;

check

>2. Browsing the Internet;

firefox 0.9+flash plugin, disable xpiinstall, remove nullplugin

>3. Sending / receiving mails (from web browser ... so same as first);

thunderbird?

>4. Multi lingual;

check all languages at install

>5. Open-Office (it should be allowed for a guest to write a short document
>   and to print it);

check

>6. Copying files from memory cards (e.g. Compact-Flash) to CD (CD burner).

mkdir /mnt/flash
and add entry to /etc/fstab

>7. Remote locking (or at least loging off) of local loged user desktop.

hmm.... never tried to do that, but I think it's possible

>3. Is there any easy way or a compressible (easy) doc file how to
>   costumize GNOME menses and desktop? I want to leave only few icons in
>   the menu / desktop?
>   Can I make this settings writable only by root (read only for user) so
>   that after logout / login the predefined settings will be loaded?

painful, but possible. gnome docs contain very little of it, but you
should read gnome sysadmin's guide

>4. Is it posible to prevent a user from running not allowed applications?
>   I want to avoid changing 'x' bit of N binaries. I would like to costumize
>   a file browser to allow only browsing memory cards and copy the content
>   to CDs ... I also want to disallow creating shortcuts on the desktop (so
>   that the user will not be able to run e.g. xterm). How can I do this?

don't allow them run from root. everything else can be achieved setting
correct permissions on Desktop directory

>5. Which 'easy to use' program should I use for burning CDs?

Default nautilus CD burner