Bluecurve icons for OpenOffice.org

Garrett LeSage garrett at redhat.com
Wed Mar 10 13:45:50 UTC 2004

On Mar 10, 2004, at 4:43 AM, Marky Goldstein wrote:

> Dear Garett,
>
> This is not meant to be negative, but feedback.
>
> I think the general look should be a bit smoother
> and more polished and more elegant. The icons look
> a bit like there is not enough time spent on them...
> Get the guy who gives you the budget to have more
> designers sit down and choose the best. Be a director ;->.

Marky, in an ideal world, it would be nice to have unlimited resources,
time, and people to help out with icons.  In the real world, there are
around 5,000 icons (and growing) to keep track of and I'm the only one
in the company to do it, so it's a daunting task.  Icon work is only
part of what I do too.

When I was working through different styles nearly two years ago, I
bounced it around with several people at the company, and our icon
theme is based off of the style I presented that people liked the most,
along with revisions over time.

Please also understand that no matter what style anyone comes up with,
there will always be at least a few people who would prefer something
else.  Liking something from an aesthetic point of view is subject to
opinion, and opinions vary.  A very large number of people throughout
the years have expressed that they really like the icon style.  You are
among one of the few who has said anything otherwise.  Of course, you
are entitled to your opinion.

I try to do the best with the resources and direction given and work
hard doing it.

Thanks,
Garrett