Fedora-desktop-list -- themes

Tony Grant tony at tgds.net
Fri Mar 12 09:41:56 UTC 2004

Le ven 12/03/2004 à 10:22, Marky Goldstein a écrit :
> I agree that a theme needs central control of one
> Art Director / Agency. One theme needs consistency.
>
> I don't agree that mutliple themes need central control.
>
> I agree that the desktop needs freedom of look. That will
> be revolutionary in the masses.

The theme should be consistent in OOo, Evolution, Mozilla. Or whatever
other combination of applications needed for a productivity desktop.

Menus should be consistent too...

My desktops have been themed to imitate Mac OS for as long as I can
remember for the simple reason that I have to switch back and forth
between Linux and Mac OS quite often. Having similar looking desktops
helps reduce confusion - thus increasing productivity.

As far as I can see it is as simple as that. If you want to migrate a
user from Mac OS or Windows to a Linux desktop then theme the desktop to
be as close as possible to the OS version she is used to. Later they can
be weened when the fear of change has gone.

Cheers
Tony Grant

--
www.tgds.net Library management software toolkit