Performance tuning the Fedora Desktop

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Tue May 11 14:26:55 UTC 2004

Hi,

The Menu VFS code has to do a number of things when the panel first
reads it as well:

1) Locate and read all .menu files in /etc/xdg/menus
2) Parse these menus and locate all .desktop/.directory directories
3) Parse all .desktop/.directory files from (2) to find out their
categories, names, and OnlyShowIn values
4) Create the actual menu structure from the data in (2) and (3)

There is definitely room for improvement and optimization here in the
menu code, but 1 - 4 have to happen in any case, which includes a lot of
hitting the disk.  So if you're doing something disk intensive at the
time you first click, it might take a couple seconds.  Also, if the
directories or files in (1) and (2) get touched or changed, the whole
menu structure is currently rebuilt to make it aware of changes, which
means invalidating a lot of cache and reloading many bits of info.

Dan