FC2: gnome-terminal takes much longer to startup than Mozilla

Will Cohen wcohen at redhat.com
Tue May 25 20:31:27 UTC 2004

Jason Tackaberry wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-05-25 at 09:16 -0400, Will Cohen wrote:
>
>>I wanted to see the number of major and minor page faults. Using "time"
>>uses the shell's builtin time which doesn't return that information.
>>Need to have the explicit path in there to avoid using the shell's builtin.
>

> It's funny how you can use *nix for years and years and still pick up
> little bits like that one, which seem like conventional wisdom.
>
> It's also funny how you can use *nix for years and years, and think you
> know what you're talking about enough to second guess someone
> @redhat.com, and then promptly get put in your place. :)

Funny, I learned about passing xterm a command to execute from your
email. :)

> Sheepishly,
> Jason.

Seriously, your email was fine. I am sure there will be things that
people will need to correct me on, and I did learn something from the email.

Remember the our goal is to improve the performance of the Linux
Desktop, not to be correct every single time.

-Will

PS I learned today that gnome actually uses gnome-terminal rather than
xterm.